Association of cryobanks of umbilical cord blood, other human tissues and cells is the only one of its kind international professional association of licensed enterprises, cryobanks, scientific and educational centers, and clinics operating in the field of biotechnology.
Established in 2013 with a view to the harmonious development of the industry of banking and clinical application of human cells and tissue, Association of cryobanks today includes leading national and foreign cryobanks and research institutes. In particular, members of the Association are the Institute of Emergency and Reconstructive Surgery n.a. VK Gusak of AMSU, Institute of Cell Therapy, Clinic «Emcell», Pokrovsky Stem Cell Bank, the International Center for Biotechnology «Biostem», Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics of NASU, Institute of Genetical and Regenerative Medicine, and others.
Currently Association of cryobanks has been actively involved in the implementation of educational programs in the field of cellular technologies, optimization of legal regulation of the industry, provides professional advice on cryo-storage and clinical application of biomaterial in Ukraine and abroad, protects the rights of consumers in this area.
The main achievements of the Association of cryobanks in 2014:
1) In 2014, the Association of cryobanks was joined by a leading European bank of cord blood — Polski Bank Komorek Macierzystych (PBKM), which controls an international group of cord blood banks Famicord. The latter is present in Romania, Latvia, Italy, Hungary, Spain, and due to the number of new customers and profit value is the second in Europe among banks of umbilical cord blood. Famicord Group issued 28 samples of umbilical cord blood and umbilical cord tissue for clinical use. Membership of PBKM in the Association of cryobanks promotes banking of cord blood stem cells and other human tissues and cells in Ukraine, harmonization of standards and improvement of the quality of medical services.
2) In 2014, the National Institute of Surgery and Transplantology n.a. AA Shalimov of AMSU became an academic member of the Association of cryobanks. The National Institute of Surgery and Transplantology n.a. AA Shalimov of AMSU is a leading research and medical facility in Ukraine in the field of surgery and transplantation. Institute scientists developed and introduced into clinical practice innovative methods of surgical treatment of diseases, including the use of methods of cell, tissue and organ transplantation. Cooperation and exchange of experience between the National Institute of Surgery and Transplantology n.a. AA Shalimov and other member institutions of the Association of cryobanks facilitates wider use of cryopreserved cells and tissues in clinical practice and improve the efficiency of the treatment of severe diseases.
3) Ukrainian Cryobank of umbilical cord blood, a full member of the Association of cryobanks, received international quality certificate ISO 9001: 2008. Institute of Cell Therapy became one of the few medical institutions in the country and the only cord blood bank in Ukraine, which successfully passed international certification ISO 9001: 2008. Obtaining of the international quality certificate ISO 9001:2008 by the Ukrainian cord blood bank in 2014 is an important moment in the development of the industry of cells and tissues banking in Ukraine. Association of cryobanks supports the efforts of national enterprises to keep pace with international standards and is making every effort to maximize adaptation of protocols and procedures of Ukrainian cryobanks to the requirements of international accreditation committees.
4) November 7th, 2014 with the support of Association of cryobanks, a scientific-practical conference «Transplantation — past, present and future», dedicated to the 20th anniversary of the Coordination Center took place. This conference is a significant event in the national transplantology from a position of summarizing the current achievements of the industry and the definition of vectors of future development of transplantology service in Ukraine. Conference was organized by the Coordination Center of Transplantation of Organs, Tissues and Cells of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, the State Institution «National Institute of Surgery and Transplantology n.a. AA Shalimov » of NAMS of Ukraine, Institute of Cell Therapy.
5) Development and implementation of innovative therapies based on stem cells in Ukraine. Association of cryobanks in Ukraine has already become a professional platform for the effective dialogue between the scientific biotech companies, hospitals, public, specialized and legal communities for the creation, exploration and implementation of new therapies for serious diseases into practical health care. 2 years ago after 5-year clinical trials Ukrainian Ministry of Health officially approved treatments of pancreonecrosis, critical limb ischemia, burns, wounds and frostbites using stem cells that were developed by the Institute of Cell Therapy (Kiev) and the Institute of Emergency and Reconstructive Surgery n.a. VK Gusak (Donetsk). And in 2014, the first results of joint clinical research of the Institute of Neurosurgery n.a. AP Romodanov of NAMS of Ukraine and the Institute of Cell Therapy on the efficacy of cell transplantation in the treatment of intervertebral hernias were announced. Association of cryobanks will do its utmost to encourage further research in this area and the availability of cell therapy of intervertebral hernias for Ukrainian patients.
6) Award from the International Placenta Stem Cell Society (IPLASS). 10-12 September 2014, the University of Granada (Spain) hosted the 3rd meeting of the International Placenta Stem Cell Society — IPLASS. The conference program included 3 oral reports from Ukraine from the scientists of the Institute of Cell Therapy. The international scientific community highly appreciated the achievements of Ukrainian researchers in the field of placenta stem cells and the development of innovative approaches to their clinical application. Thus, Shabliy VA, PhD, the deputy director of the Institute of Cell Therapy Cryobank was awarded by the International Placenta Stem Cell Society for the best oral report.
7) Support of the clinical trials of the Coordination Center for Transplantation of Organs, Tissues and Cells of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, as well as Ukrainian and international research projects in the field of cellular technologies. Member institutions of the Association of cryobanks under the auspices of the Coordination Center for Transplantation of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine conduct clinical trials on the safety and efficacy of stem cells use in the treatment of socially important diseases such as diabetes, cirrhosis, hepatitis, cardiomyopathy, and others. National Institute of Cardiovascular Surgery n.a. N.N. Amosov of AMSU, Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, National Academy of Sciences, the Institute of Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology of AMSU and the Institute of Cell Therapy carry out research project «Development of technology for cellular cardiomyoplasty using human stem cells», aimed at optimization of the treatment of congenital and acquired diseases of the cardiovascular system. And from 2013 to 2017, Ukraine in collaboration with Estonia, Croatia, Turkey, the Czech Republic and the United States participates in the international scientific project THYMISTEM, funded by the European Union (grant 6.1 million euros). Targets of the project are the development of long-term culturing protocols of human thymic cells (in vitro) and approaches to their clinical application in the treatment of immunodeficiencies.
8) The acceptance of the journal «Cell and Organ Transplantology» in the List of scientific specialized editions of Ukraine and international indexing databases. The year 2014 proved to be particularly fruitful for the scientific journal «Cell and Organ Transplantology,» which was founded and for the second year is being published by the Institute of Cell Therapy with the support of the Association of cryobanks. In 2014, the journal «Cell and Organ Transplantology» was accepted in the List of specialized scientific editions in Ukraine, as well as international indexing databases: Open Academic Journals Index — OAJI, Ulrich’s Periodicals Directory, Index Copernicus International, International Scientific Indexing and Citefactor and NLM catalog, what significantly strengthens the image of the edition and the status of published articles.